Tour of the Town
Sanders House and Farmstead
Simon T. Sanders, county clerk from 1839-1869, lived here with his family until the late 1870s. Sander’s position as county clerk placed him at the center of Washington’s social and political life. This classic Greek Revival home built in 1845 interprets the lifestyle of the 1850s through an interior restoration conducted in 1991. Recent additions to the Sanders House site based on archeological and photographic evidence include a detached kitchen, barn, garden area, and multiple outbuildings, making the Sanders House one of Washington’s premier living history sites.