Tour of the Town
1836 Hempstead County Courthouse
The first historic structure in Arkansas to be restored with state funds in 1929, this courthouse was built for Hempstead County in 1836. During the Civil War, Arkansas Governor Harris Flanagan chose this county courthouse as the Confederate Capitol of Arkansas following the capture of Little Rock in September 1863. The reconstructed clerk’s office serves as restroom facilities.