Established in 1815 on the banks of the Black River, this important frontier town housed the Arkansas Territory's first post office, courthouse, and land office. When bypassed by the Southwest Trail, stretching
from St. Louis to Mexico, the town of Davidsonville began to fade, and was virtually unoccupied by the 1830s. Because there has since been little disturbance, archeologists have recently uncovered the town three inches below ground. Rich with historical artifacts, archeological finds include corners of buildings, streets, and a volume of artifacts relating to Arkansas Native Americans, which are currently at the University of Arkansas being catalogued and preserved.