First Day Hike
The First Day Hike Tradition
We are pleased that so many people have made First Day Hikes an annual tradition! It is exciting for Arkansas to be such a strong participant in this nationwide event occurring in all 50 state park systems. First Day Hikes are focused on healthy habits and lifelong memories.
This year for First Day Hikes we will offer guided hikes at many Arkansas State parks, as well as encouraging self-guided walks and hikes on the "First Weekend," (Dec. 31-Jan. 2) for those who would like to explore on their own. (Note: A few park locations are closed on the Jan. 1 holiday but will be open on Jan. 2. Visit our event calendar to see scheduled guided First Day Hikes.)
Participants can receive a free sticker one of two ways:
- Go on a guided hike at a state park on January 1 and receive a sticker at the program.
- Self-guided hikers can log their First Weekend hikes in Arkansas State Parks and miles by filling out a form (a link to the form was posted here on Dec. 30) and we will send a free sticker to each person in your group.
Please plan to recreate responsibly and remember:
- When the parking lot is full, the park is full. We encourage you to consider planning your hikes on less-visited trails or off-peak times of the day. Consider having a Plan B in place.
- Dress for the weather. Wear and bring warm layers and sturdy shoes.
- Bring water and snacks.
- Avoid hiking if you are experiencing cold, flu, or COVID symptoms.
- Stay on designated trails. Shortcuts cause damage and are unsafe.
- Practice Leave No Trace principles.
Share Your First Day Hikes
We also want to share your First Day Hike experiences. You can upload your photos and/or videos here with our uploader tool. Use #ARStateParks and #FirstDayHikes when sharing on social media too!
Social Media User Generated Content (UGC) Policy: By submitting a video or photo to Arkansas State Parks (ASP), you authorize ASP to use and share your content on their official website as well as in all social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. You also grant permission for ASP to use all or parts of your video in edited videos.