Plantation Agriculture Museum Opens Seed Warehouse No. 5 on Saturday, May 9
For Immediate ReleaseScott
-- The dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony for the 1948 Seed Warehouse No. 5 at Plantation Agriculture Museum in Scott is slated for Saturday, May 9 at 10:00 a.m. The public is invited to join state and local officials at this event that will serve as the grand opening for the historic warehouse. The event will also serve as the kick off for the Museum’s Forge Fest Event that will be held on the museum grounds that day from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Blacksmiths will demonstrate how simple tools and objects are made from iron.
There will be no charge to attend the opening of the warehouse, take a guided tour of the structure or watch the Forge Fest blacksmithing demonstrations. Admission fees will only apply to the Museum's main gallery.
The Seed Warehouse No. 5 has been restored to its 1948 appearance and new exhibits have been installed that explain the building's original use, describe Arkansas's main seed crops, details how the building works as well as machinery that cleaned and processed seeds for planting.
In 1948, Robert L. Dortch of Scott, Arkansas, constructed Seed Warehouse No. 5 to accommodate his expanding commercial seed operation. This location was chosen because of access to the highway and to the Cotton Belt Railroad. A railroad spur connected the building to the main track. The Warehouse’s design included a floor-to-ceiling auger system with improved ventilation and sloping sides to accommodate the shape of huge piles of seeds including primarily cotton, soybeans and oats.
The warehouse was acquired by Arkansas State Parks in 1985 as part of the Plantation Agriculture Museum. The Museum serves as one of the 52 state parks and museums administered by the State Parks Division of the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism. Work began on the warehouse several years ago with funding from the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council (ANCRC) and was recently concluded with the addition of the exhibits and lighting.
This warehouse may be the only structure of its kind in the United States that is restored, interpreted and open to the public. Two historic boxcars painted with Cotton Belt Railroad logos were donated by Union Pacific Railroad and added on the spur route alongside the building.
The Plantation Agriculture Museum is located just 20 minutes from Little Rock at the junction of U.S. Hwy. 165 and Arkansas Hwy. 161 in Scott. Take Exit #7 off I-440 and turn south on U.S. Hwy. 165 and travel five miles.
The museum is open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and from 1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Sunday. Admission to the museum exhibits is $3.00 for adults and $2.00 for children. For more information, contact Linda Goza at 501-961-1409 or firstname.lastname@example.org####